Temporary Resident Permit

Denied entry at the Border?

You may need Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) to enter Canada, or you may NOT need a TRP. A TRP is a special permit that allows you to enter Canada temporarily otherwise you would be inadmissible because of your past criminal offence, or medical issue, or removal from Canada, or other reasons. But not all refusals at the border mean that you need a TRP. Often times your refusals are resulted from the officials failure of understanding your entry. Further, even if you had trouble with the law or police in the past, you may still not need to apply for the TRP depending on the nature of your offence, how long ago the offence happened, and if you can be considered rehabilitated.

Refused entry is extremely stressful especially when your entry is directly related to your employment and you may face the risk of losing your job if you cannot come to Canada. On the other hand, due to the complexity of the law, especially when criminal issues are involved, even if a simple DUI charge, it is extremely important to handle your entry matter carefully and properly, to avoid any further complications, such as deportation, which does happen, even though it does not happen often.

As of March 1, 2012, a foreign national may get a TRP even without having to pay the $200 processing levied by Citizenship and Immigration Canada if the person was convicted of an offence, such as driving under the influence of alcohol, public mischief, or shoplifting, and received no term of imprisonment as part of the sentence imposed; and has had no other convictions or committed any other acts that would render the person inadmissible.

I, Mary Zhang, will help you thoroughly analyze your situation to determine if you need a TRP, and if yes, how to obtain one.


MaxCan Immigration’s Mary Zhang has years of experience handling TRPs. Come speak to her at our offices in Markham.