The Business Investment Stream Entrepreneur Pathway is for applicants who wish to open a business or purchase one in Manitoba. Business plans that create jobs for Manitobans and contribute to Manitoba’s economy will be selected by MPNP. The requirements for applicants are as follows:
- You must have at least 3 years experience as an owner or senior manager of a successful business during the last 5 years.
- As a business owner you must own at least 33 1/3 % of the company.
- Business owners will gain preference over senior managers.
- Your language skills must be at least at the CLB/NCLC 5 level.
- You must have at a minimum finished the equivalent of Canadian secondary school.
- There is no minimum or maximum age limits, but maximum points will be awarded to entrepreneur candidates from the age of 25 to 49 years old.
- You must invest a minimum of CAD$250,000 if your business is located in Winnipeg, or CAD$150,000 if your business is located elsewhere in the province.
- You must invest in an eligible business as defined by the MPNP. Running a strip club, for example, would not qualify as an investment.
- You must create at least 1 full-time job for a Manitoba resident who is a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada.
- You must have a detailed business plan and it is advisable for you to conduct a Business Research Visit within a year of submitting your Expression of Interest (EOI – see below).
- Your application will receive additional points for the following factors:
- You spouse has CLB/NCLC 5 or higher in language test results.
- You or your spouse have CLB/NCLC or higher in a second official language.
- Your child is enrolled in an accredited Manitoba school and is pursuing academic, professional, or vocational training on a full-time basis for at least 6 months prior to your submitting an EOI.
- You or your spouse have completed a post-secondary of study of at least 1 year at a Manitoba school at an age of 17 or older on a valid work permit.
- You or your spouse have completed at least 6 months of continuous, full-time employment in Manitoba and are able to provide a letter of reference from your employer as well as a copy of your study permit.
- You must have a net worth of at least CAD$500,000. Your net worth will be verified by one of the following designated third-party verifiers:
Once you have had your application approved, you will a Business Performance Agreement (BPA) with the MPNP. The MPNP will then issue you a Letter of Support for your application for a work permit in order to begin establishing your business in Manitoba.
Until the online application system for this stream has been upgraded you should expect to have to follow the following interim process for applying:
Step 1: Self-assessment
Ensure that you meet the eligibility requirements listed above and complete a Self-Assessment form. Go here to download a PDF of the form.
Step 2: Explore Manitoba and Research your Business Concept
Prepare to put together a business plan by:
- Researching business opportunities in Manitoba
- Travel to Manitoba for an exploratory visit and attend a business seminar given by the Business Consulting Unit (BCU) of Manitoba’s Immigration and Economic Opportunities Division.
- Complete a Business Concept Form. Go here to download a PDF of the form.
Step 3: Submit forms to MPNP
- Submit completed Business Concept and Self-Assessment forms by email to the following address: MPNP-BusinessStream@gov.mb.ca
- Have your representative fill out a Code of Conduct MPNP form if you are using one. You can download it here. Submit the form by email along with the Business Concept and Self-Assessment forms.
- A response will be emailed to you to indicate if your EOI is successful and you meet the requirements of the program.
Step 4: Submit full Application to MPNP
- If your EOI is successful you will be sent a Letter of Advice to Apply (LAA) along with an email with detailed instructions.
- All provincial and federal forms in your application must be submitted electronically (online). Paper copies will not be accepted.
- Supporting documents can be submitted in paper format by mail or in person.
- Your personal net worth will be verified by a third-party verifier.
- You must submit your application with all supporting documents within 120 days of receiving your Letter of Advice to Apply (LAA).
Go here and scroll to the bottom of the page to see the list of forms for the Entrepreneur Pathway.
Step 5: Application Assessment
- The assessment process may require you to attend an interview with the MPNP.
- If successful, you will be emailed an approval letter.
- You must sign a Business Performance Agreement (BPA) before getting a Letter of Support from MPNP for your application for a work permit.
- Apply for a work permit from the IRCC with your letter of support and any other supporting documents required.
Step 6: Operate your Business in Manitoba
With your work permit, you can move to Manitoba and start to implement your business plan. The Business Consulting Office (BCU) can assist you through this process.
Step 7: Receive your MPNP Nomination
- Once you have successfully completed your BPA, the MPNP will issue you a Certificate of Nomination.
- Once you have your certificate, you can apply to IRCC for permanent residence.