If you have experience at running a farm and the ability to invest a significant amount of capital in the proposed business, then the AINP Self-Employed Farmer stream may be an opportunity for you, especially if you’re looking for investment opportunities in Alberta’s agricultural sector.
What are the Eligibility Criteria?
- You must provide proof of farm management experience. Some examples of acceptable documented proof of farm management/ownership experience would be:
- Financial documents which detail an existing farm business
- Documentation that provides:
- Your level of education
- Any training you have received
- Your work experience
- You will also need a business plan for your proposed farming enterprise in Alberta, as well as
- Proof that a Canadian Financial Institution is willing to provide a loan and any other form of financing necessary for your proposed farming enterprise in Alberta
- You must have a personal net worth of CAD$500,000 or have documented proof of the ability to raise a similar amount from Canadian Financial institutions.
- You must invest a minimum of CAD$500,000 in your proposed farming business and you may be required by the AINP to invest a higher amount.
- Your proposed business should be in primary production in the agricultural sector and be illustrated with a detailed business plan.
- The AINP prioritizes those proposed businesses that meet Alberta’s agri-food targets.
The following applicants will be considered ineligible by the AINP:
- Refugee claimants
- People involved in a federal appeal or removal process
- Live-in caregivers currently in Canada
- Temporary workers living and working in a province other than Alberta
- International students studying in Canada, including those doing co-op work or internships.
How to apply
- To contact the Alberta Agriculture & Forestry and obtain more information on the AINP Self-Employed Farmer stream:
- Phone (001) (403) 742 7901
- In Alberta phone toll-free: 310 3276 or 1-866 882 7677
- Email: email@example.com
- You will be asked to attend an interview with an Alberta Government official who will determine your eligibility under AINP’s Self-Employed Farmer stream.
- In order to give your application the best possible chance of succeeding, you should research the province’s agricultural sector and also plan on taking a business trip to Alberta in order to examine investment opportunities in the sector before you begin putting together your business plan.