NAFTA work permit

If you are a citizen of Canada, the United States or Mexico, you may be eligible to enter into the three countries easier and faster without the need of a Labour Market Impact Assessement (LMIA) from ESDC/SC.

There are four specific categories of business people under NAFTA: business visitors, professionals, intra-company transferees, and traders and investors.

Business visitors do not require a work permit. Business visitors usually stay in Canada for a few days or a few weeks. To be considered a business visitor you must show that:

• you intend to stay for less than six months and do not plan to enter the Canadian labour market
• your main place of business and source of income is located outside Canada
• profits from your business will accrue outside Canada
• you can provide documents that support your application, and
• you meet Canada’s basic entry requirements

Professionals must:

• be qualified to work in one of the more than 60 professions listed in Appendix 1603.D.1 of Chapter 16 of NAFTA (See below for the list of professions) and
• have pre-arranged employment with a Canadian enterprise in an occupation that matches the qualification.

Intra-company transferees must:

• have worked continuously for at least one year in the preceding three years for the same or affiliated employer in the United States or Mexico
• be transferred to Canada to work temporarily for the same or an affiliated employer and
• work in a capacity that is managerial, executive or that involves specialized knowledge.

Traders or Investors must:

• be seeking to carry out substantial trade in goods or services, mainly between Canada and her or his country of citizenship, or conduct substantial investment activities in Canada, in a supervisory or an executive capacity, or in a capacity that involves essential skills, and
• meet additional requirements under NAFTA

List of NAFTA professionals:

  • Accountant
  • Architect
  • Computer System Analyst
  • Disaster Relief Insurance Claims Adjuster
  • Economist
  • Engineer
  • Forester
  • Graphic designer
  • Hotel manager
  • Industrial designer
  • Interior designer
  • Land surveyor
  • Landscape architect
  • Lawyer
  • Librarian
  • Management consultant
  • Mathematician
  • Range manager/Range Conservationalist
  • Research assistant
  • Scientific technician/technologist
  • Social worker
  • Sylviculturist (including Forestry specialist)
  • Technical publication writer
  • Urban planner
  • Vocational counsellor
  • Dentist
  • Dietitian
  • Medical laboratory technologist
  • Nutritionist
  • Occupational therapist
  • Pharmacist
  • Physician
  • Physiotherapist/physical therapist
  • Psychologist
  • Recreational therapist
  • Register nurse
  • Veterinarian
  • Agriculturist (including Agronomist)
  • Animal breeder
  • Animal scientist
  • Apiculturist
  • Astronomer
  • Biochemist
  • Biologist (including Plant Pathologist)
  • Chemist
  • Dairy scientist
  • Entomologist
  • Epidemiolosit
  • Geneticist
  • Geologist
  • Geochemist
  • Geophysicist (including Oceanographer)
  • Horticulturist
  • Meteorologist
  • Harmacologist
  • Physicist
  • Plant breeder
  • Poultry scientist
  • Soil scientist
  • Zoologist
  • College/seminary/university Teacher

For more information, contact Mary Zhang at Maxcan's office in Markham, Ontario